“MEANINGFUL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE”
– Desi Baytan
Introducing Desi Baytan of Desi Baytan Photography
- What advice do you have for wedding photographers?
View the video in HD here.
who is desi baytan?
Desi Baytan Photography is a story teller of the happy, memorable moments. But instead of using words, they use pictures.
- winner of Junebug Weddings Best from the Best 2009 – “The World’s Best Wedding Photography”
- their beautiful Romantic European shoot shown here will be featured in the famous Grace Ormonde’s Wedding Style Magazine – Congratulations, Desi!
- a husband and wife team, like us
when did you start desi baytan photography?
I started back in 2007.
I really liked looking at pictures and albums. My mom had lots of them. I really liked seeing how those family albums showed such great stories through the photos.
how did you get into wedding photography?
I first had a Kodak disc camera for snapshots. In high school, I got a Maxim 7000, the first camera with auto focus. After a while of using that, I learned it wasn’t about the camera. It’s how you use it.
I started learning the camera through yearbook, darkrooms, college newspaper and being an art director at CalPoly. I got a background in journalism.
I started running an IT business and brought in photography for a service. I started networking a lot (Chamber of Commerce, etc.). I shot every event for free. I just kept practicing.
Then, I met a wedding MC who saw my kid photos I had taken and who said I could shoot weddings. I knew I could do it but I had never tried. You never know until the opportunity comes. So I started looking into weddings.
what photography organizations do you recommend checking out?
- WPJA (Wedding Photographer Journalist Association) | Nice for people who are looking for photojournalistic work – of course, you must have photojournalist work to join
- WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographer International) | This is a large community of professionals with lots of resources you can look at. It helped me know what I was doing right. It affirmed that I was going in the right direction.
who are the photographers you look up to?
Desi, thank you for a truly wonderful conversation. It was so much fun getting to know your background and style. It was truly a pleasure getting to know you and to hear your advice. Thank you so much!