After seeing her beautiful tablescape at the Utterly Engaged Snap, Crackle & Pop event, we had to meet her in person to learn more about what advice she had to brides on creating a fabulous wedding.
how did you become a wedding planner?
I started as the world’s most popular bridesmaid. After ALL those weddings while I was in school in San Francisco, a girlfriend asked me, “If you could do ANYTHING, what would it be?”
I answered, “Travel the world and just do weddings.”
Seven years later, I was recommended by my sorority sister to do a wedding: 450 guests a the beautiful Natural History Museum. I was horribly frightened and kept having nightmares for 2 days straight once I booked it. But, on the wedding day, I was able to save the day for the bride! There were some vendors botching the whole wedding and, luckily, I had done the research to know what to do to save her from those headaches.
I love adding that special touch to an amazing day. It’s NOT about me. It’s about the bride and groom. The day is guaranteed to be amazing with what they bring. But I am able to take it from amazing to remarkable…and memorable.
why the name Sugar & Spice?
It was the first name I wrote down. I had brainstormed a few other names so I decided to take notes on each name, howeach name would look, feel. Sugar & Spice moved and inspired me the most. It inspires my business. It’s a juxtaposition of two great worlds:
Sugar: weddings, the sweetness
Spice: the original touch, the edginess, the things your family says don’t do it! but you’ve got to so that it can be true to you
Sugar & Spice was the best of both worlds.
what makes you different from other wedding planners? why should a bride hire you?
- My Guarantee | I can guarantee, from beginning to end, that whatever they desire will be there. I am flexible, fun, and put their needs first. I ALWAYS keep the couple in mind because it’s THEIR day. Their love is all that matters. Everything should reflect that. I love asking my brides, “If only your groom were to see your wedding the way you’ve planned it, would you be happy with what you’ve planned?”
- Tailoring of Service | My company is like a tailored suit. It’s built from seams to button for you. It can’t be duplicated. It’s tailored to your needs.
what advice do you have for brides on how to best plan their wedding?
- Add personal touches that reflect you!
- Have fun! It’s never that serious.
- Plan personal time with each guest.
- Start your planning by looking at pictures. Then, select your colors. Then, create a checklist of what you want, need, and all the details.
- Sign up for a wedding website and organize your guest list and all your wedding inspiration. Project Wedding is fabulous. In it, you can manage your guest list.
- Give your planner the password to your wedding website! This way you can have an interactive exchange about what’s important to you, your guest list, details, and what’s changing.
what’s your favorite kind of bride?
I love brides who know what they want and can communicate it. My favorite wedding are the evening candlelit weddings in atypical venues (i.e. museums, old libraries). I love romantic weddings with 100-200 people in venues that are the main feature, not the decor. I love brides who want their wedding to be personal.
contact Danelle of Sugar & Spice
Book your consultation with Danelle for your wedding on her website here!
Danelle, can’t say how inspired I got from our talk. I can’t wait to see how you shake the wedding industry up to be as amazing as you’re envisioning. Can’t wait to work with you soon!
The Type A Bride
View more hot industry tips with our other Type A Bride posts here.