Today’s Type A Bride Minute shares the inside scoop on how to pick the perfect wedding dress. We spent the morning at the busy bustling store, Mary Me Bridal, and the fab bridal consultant, Hope Stanley.
Hope Stanley answers: How do Brides Pick the Perfect Wedding Dress?
Our salespeople are not pressured to sell. The atmosphere is laidback, relaxed. The dresses range from $700 to $12,000. There’s a dress in there for everyone.
how should a bride prepare to shop for her dress?
- Look at a few designers. Don’t look based on what you can afford. Look for the style you love.
- Look through magazines. They’re better than looking through the internet. The photos in magazines are the best photos that designers want to share.
- Pick 3-4 images.
- Bring these images in when you visit your bridal consultant. It’ll give the consultant a great idea of your style.
- Visit 1-2 bridal stores. Start 8 months-1 year prior to the wedding.
is there any dress type that fits ANY body type
Certainly! A natural waist looks great on any body.
who are your favorite designers?
Personal favorite: Carolina Herrera
Image below courtesy of Wedding Style Magazine. Click here to view Carolina’s entire Spring/Summer 2011 Bridal collection.
what common mistakes would you warn brides about when picking/altering their dress?
- common mistake #1 | picking based on everyday style – This should not be your everyday dress.
- common mistake #2 | picking only for comfort – These are not pajamas or sweats.
- common mistake #3 | altering to make the dress skintight – Do not let it be skintight like models in a magazine. Those models are only meant to stay standing. But you need to be able to sit down. You need to be able to eat, to breathe.
how can a bride keep her dress looking fabulous throughout the wedding day?
- Whenever you walk, don’t let the dress drag. Hold it up.
- Do not drink champagne prior to walking down the aisle.
what would you say makes the BIGGEST impression with a bride’s attire at a wedding?
The veil really finishes a dress off. It is very important.
Once you put the veil on the dress, you’re a bride. It’s that moment when people cry and get emotional.
Check out Mary Me Bridal here.
Like Hope Stanley’s Bridal Stylist page here.
More exclusive Type A Bride tips here.
The Type A Bride
- Share this with brides you know!
- Subscribe to our new monthly Type A Bride e-newsletter: tips from the best in the industry on efficiently creating your dream-come-true wedding and, most importantly, building a lasting wonderful marriage. Leave a comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: subscribe type a bride.
- See more of our inside scoop with other Type A Bride posts here.