Spent the afternoon enjoying The Perfect Circle Cupcakery cupcakes and picking the brain of the talented wedding florist, Helen Tao of Flowers by Helen.
how did you start Flowers by Helen?
I worked at a flower shop during the weekends in high school. I just loved it! For 2 years, I helped out another florist. Then in 2008, I started on my own.
why weddings? why flowers?
I like seeing the beauty of a wedding come together. It’s such a happy occasion. When clients come in, their expression makes it worth it!
Why flowers? Because it’s pretty. When you walk into a room, flowers are the first thing that you notice. It really makes or breaks a wedding. I always think you can have the ugliest location but you can save it by having the prettiest flowers.
what makes your floral design different from others out there?
Everything I do is very personal. I never take more than 15-20 weddings/year. I never let anybody else design for me. It’s not a process where you’re meeting with a person and designing for another and then someone else delivers. I’m there for the whole process. I walk through it so they know exactly what they get into it. Plus, my pricing is very fair.
I’ve never had a bad review. I’ve kept in touch with almost every single client that I have. I give them a sense of trust and I deliver it. I only work through referrals. I don’t advertise.
what’s your favorite type of bride/wedding?
I like brides that let me do whatever I want. I like a more modern style. But I’m open. I like doing things that are different. I don’t like doing the exact same things over and over again.
what advice do you have for brides when preparing to meet with you?
- Figure out what your budget is. Budget is probably the most important thing. Find the maximum you can spend and I’ll educate you on what will fit your budget. You have to be open to listening to ideas.
- Look at different pictures and styles. Know that they’ll probably be different price points.
- Take my quote and estimate. Take out all the pricing and go look for another florist. You can get a good idea of what is fair.
what advice do you have for brides in creating the perfect floral décor for their wedding? Any mistakes to avoid?
- It depends on your style and personal preference. If you do have a theme I mind, make sure you fit the theme. We’ll suggest flowers or containers that fit with your theme. But if you don’t have a theme in mind or there’s a certain look you wanna go for, we’ll help look up linens and create a cohesive look.
- Keep in mind, if you have no theme, no one will want to publish your wedding.
- Be really open to listening to your vendors, not just florists. When we vendors talk about our work, we really know what we’re talking about. We really do want to try to help you. Be open to ideas and comments.
- Don’t pick white flowers in the summer heat. Your florist should be able to tell you which flowers will be better for outdoor weddings, indoor weddings, air conditioning or no air conditioning.
want Flowers by Helen for your gorgeous wedding florals?
Check out Flowers by Helen here.
Want more wedding planning tips? Say hello and send questions my way for future Type A Bride posts!
With my love,
The Type A Bride