Sussanna Davidson from French Buckets is freakin’ fabulous. She is super talented, hilarious, and does amazing work. As one of our IT LIST vendors, we recommend her to our brides. So of course we were stoked when she took time to sit with us and let us know the secrets behind:
How to Have the Best Wedding Florals
how did your love for florals begin?
When I graduated college, my friend had a flower business where I helped. A year after graduation, we had two shops. A year later, I was asked to open a shop in Fashion Island. I loved the artistic side of floral design.
why the name french buckets?
We used to have a shabby chic French-style furniture store called French Dressing. I have always been drawn to pretty arrangements and horticulture. I loved the feel of the buckets where the French placed their flowers. I wanted to have a business in florals that didn’t have flowers in the name but had the feeling I wanted the business to exude just from its name.
how would you describe your style?
yummy drippy garden-full
what are common mistakes you see brides and grooms make when it comes to wedding florals?
Popular mistakes I see:
- Too matchy matchy | Sometimes, couples make their florals too uniform in color and style. It looks like prom.
- Simple doesn’t mean inexpensive
- Fear of staying in the box | Too often, couples can be afraid that they have to have their florals and design a certain way, to stay in the box. Couples should select what they really like for their wedding.
what advice would you have for a bride and groom to have the best wedding florals?
- Great sources for inspiration on your wedding design:
- The feel of a room
- Containers that inspire you
- Photographs of other wedding florals
- Whatever inspires you – Stay true to what you love, not what you’re “supposed” to be. Go for what makes you unique.
Tell and show your florist what design inspires you. Then, trust your florist in doing the best to create your vision.
view her work
View more of Sussanna’s fabulous work here.
À la prochaine!,
What experience or tips do you have on fabulous wedding florals? Message and let me know for future Type A Bride posts. For more Type A Bride tips, go here.